Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Alignment check for 2010 Elantra Touring - pulls to the right

Old 09-03-2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Insipid2000
When I first read this I thought the dealer physically removed the steering wheel and put it back on... But you must be talking about the dealer aligning the toe of the vehicle with the steering wheel off center. Adjusting toe of a car typically will not affect how straight the car drives so that would be a crappy solution.

When you are talking about caster you must mean positive caster not negative. As a general rule a car will drift to the side with the most negative caster at highway speeds and will pull to the side with the most positive camber.

So the dealer is probably going to loosen up your vehicle's subframe and shift it to make the left side caster be more towards negative than the right side. This will help compensate for road crown. Typically I thought manufacturers of cars would put slightly more positive caster on the right side as well as slightly more negative camber on the right side because of road crown.

From what I've gathered the pulling complaints are related to the tires(radial tire pull or inflation), alignment or the steering system. In my case it seems to be related the steering systems ability to center itself after turns.
According to the online service manual, caster and camber are not adjustable on these cars. So, the dealer performing constant wheel alignments will do nothing if the problem is related to either of these adjustments. If the problem isn't toe related, you're just throwing money down the tube and the dealer is just wasting your time. I'm convinced my problem is too much negative camber. When I go to the dealer, all they do is fiddle with the toe adjustment. With this route, my problem will never be solved and, like others not really knowing why they burn through tires, will be forced to buy tires every 20 to 25k miles. I have no intention of letting things get to that point.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:21 PM

So are most owners seeing the inner edges of the tires wear the fastest? I've noticed over the years that cars with larger rims and lower profile tires wear alot quicker on the inner edges.
Omnitech, you have the 15" rims right? I would expect your car to have less wear than the 17" rims over time. Maybe there is something loose in the steering that no one has detected so after they align your car it just toes out again.
Have you been able to look at the alignment measurements for your car? I would think your mechanic would let you know if the camber is too much out of spec. Also its true camber and caster are factory set and "non-adjustable". But there are ways of getting adjustment. Usually aftermarket; camber bolt kits, adjustable upper strut mounts.. though if you haven't curbed the car or been in an accident things shouldn't be too far out.
Also, how does your car drive? Any complaints about tracking?

Old 09-03-2012, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Insipid2000
So are most owners seeing the inner edges of the tires wear the fastest? I've noticed over the years that cars with larger rims and lower profile tires wear alot quicker on the inner edges.
Omnitech, you have the 15" rims right? I would expect your car to have less wear than the 17" rims over time. Maybe there is something loose in the steering that no one has detected so after they align your car it just toes out again.
Have you been able to look at the alignment measurements for your car? I would think your mechanic would let you know if the camber is too much out of spec. Also its true camber and caster are factory set and "non-adjustable". But there are ways of getting adjustment. Usually aftermarket; camber bolt kits, adjustable upper strut mounts.. though if you haven't curbed the car or been in an accident things shouldn't be too far out.
Also, how does your car drive? Any complaints about tracking?
Inner shoulder wear is not caused by toe, it's a camber issue. My alignment specs are all in tolerance except the left front which is way positive (0.0), should be wearing on the outside on that one. Regardless of specs, 3 tires have inner shoulder wear. Haven't confronted shop on that one yet. Yes, I'm aware of aftermarket kits, I'm OK with them as long as the dealer does it at Hyundai's expense. I'm not paying them to fix their own poor quality design. Car has been "aligned" twice since June. I have the 15" tires with no tracking issues whatsoever. Tires have never hit a curb or potholes to cause this problem, I mean THREE tires with the same bad wear. Never happened on any of my other vehicles in close to 40 years of driving.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:21 PM

UPDATE - Took off Factory Kumho Tires and Replaced them.... Car Drives like a totally different car.... Guess what it will GO STRAIGHT down interstate without having to fight the steering wheel.... I should have pushed harder to get the tires switched out under warranty but since it was my mom car and she got tired of dealing with it.... but now she wishes she would have let me fight harder for new tires.... Needless to say I guess every company can make a bad tire but Kumho will not be the first choice.. Ad I know that factory spec'ed tires are most of the time different then the replacement you buy but still.... have not had tires this bad since the factory good years that came on a dodge caravan in 1985