General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Slow Fuel Fill Problem Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Default No Blow Up: no worries

So the question was will this cause damage to the car or blow up etc. Answer: NO.

It is illegal in the US. But the chances of getting caught are minimal. BUT it might cause the check engine light to come on and we here at the forum would like to know, so please keep us informed. WHY: If you do a little reading on the emissions system you'll find there is a fairly elaborate system to check if everything in the fuel vapor recovery system is all in good working order. By removing the charcoal you may change the airflow resistance in the system just enough to cause the system's self test procedure to throw a fault thus causing the check engine light to come on. If that happens and you use similar repair techniques as used in resolving the charcoal problem I expect you will disable the check engine light. Thus I expect you will ask how to do that in your next post so let me just go ahead and answer that now. The fastest way is to drill a small hole through the dash display and into the check engine light until it goes out. The small hole will not be very visible and not to worry as the vapor from the charcoal canister will not come out of the hole and even if it did the check engine light won't come on. Good luck. /s. BTW if it were me I'd replace the canister even though it costs a bit. But that's just me.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by BobQhy
So the question was will this cause damage to the car or blow up etc. Answer: NO.

It is illegal in the US. But the chances of getting caught are minimal. BUT it might cause the check engine light to come on and we here at the forum would like to know, so please keep us informed. WHY: If you do a little reading on the emissions system you'll find there is a fairly elaborate system to check if everything in the fuel vapor recovery system is all in good working order. By removing the charcoal you may change the airflow resistance in the system just enough to cause the system's self test procedure to throw a fault thus causing the check engine light to come on. If that happens and you use similar repair techniques as used in resolving the charcoal problem I expect you will disable the check engine light. Thus I expect you will ask how to do that in your next post so let me just go ahead and answer that now. The fastest way is to drill a small hole through the dash display and into the check engine light until it goes out. The small hole will not be very visible and not to worry as the vapor from the charcoal canister will not come out of the hole and even if it did the check engine light won't come on. Good luck. /s. BTW if it were me I'd replace the canister even though it costs a bit. But that's just me.
About to replace the canister, I have not problem, because I have 2 canister!! both are damaged, so I was fix one, but the other is with characoal yet. I have a ODB-II scanner, so I clear chenck engine light. If I have another problem, I will tell you in this forum.

Thanks!

Old 09-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Exclamation Nice Job

Interesting my 2003 Elantra is getting harder and harder to fill.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:06 PM

Yes my wife's elantra has the same problem

Originally Posted by HermanPWillis
I noticed my '05 XG350 doing this when I filled up this weekend. Very frustrating! One thing to add that is sort of related. Isn't there supposed to be a small, round, spring loaded door just where you put the fuel nozzle? Mine has disappeared. Has this happened to anyone else?

Old 09-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Default Missing part

The little spring that holds the flap closed may have broken or the flap may have fallen off If you notice the filler pipe is quite small in a Hyundai and it could be stuck in there causing a restriction Good luck

Old 09-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GaryL
The little spring that holds the flap closed may have broken or the flap may have fallen off If you notice the filler pipe is quite small in a Hyundai and it could be stuck in there causing a restriction Good luck
Read the WHOLE thread. You missed this post:
Originally Posted by NovaResource
Originally Posted by HermanPWillis
Isn't there supposed to be a small, round, spring loaded door just where you put the fuel nozzle?
No, there's not.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:38 PM

Okay if the canister is shot what is the answer!
Can the charcoal be dried out or does one have to purchase a new one.
Apart from cutting the canister open is there a quick fix.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

First is to disconnect the hoses from the canister and clear them out. If they are clear and it's still a problem then yes, you need to replace the canister.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the input.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:15 PM
Exclamation Petrol Problems

I got under the car today at around 10:00 and crawled out at about 16:00 .
Took the Charcoal Canister, fuel line assembly from filler port to petrol tank out, cleaned all the pesky charcoal chips from the lines was tempted to drop the fuel tank but thought better of it..
Refitted it all back together with a new $160 Canister took it to the garage and filled her up.
And it worked by heck.
It was only 86F in SW Florida today so not too hot.

Quick Reply: Slow Fuel Fill Problem Diagnosis