Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Hyundai cannot replace lost keys

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Default Hyundai cannot replace lost keys

Lost a key in April, repeatedly requested a new key from Hyundai dealer in April, May, June, told each time that laser cut key with micro-chip must be ordered from factory but the factory had some sort of computer problem and could not replace my key. Supposedly the factory can cut a new key from the vehicle VIN, but dealer said factory was unable to deliver. Lost other key this July, now have to replace entire ignition and door locks and trunk latch because factory still unable to replace keys. Cost to me is about $400 for a car with just 2600 miles and under full warranty. Hyundai customer service tells me that Hyundai does not do key replacements for Touring, Azera, and Genesis and I must pay full cost.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

The warranty doesn't cover the owner losing his/her keys. Just don't lose your keys. Problem solved.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:50 AM

The point is not that I lost my keys. The point is that I tried for three full months to have thr first lost key replaced and Hyundai could not do it. I'll buy a Honda next time. Steve

Old 07-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Banned

I'd talk to another dealer to verify to problem. My sister lost her programmable key for her big expensive Acura, a regular locksmith was able to make and reprogram her new key.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by smeyer52
I'll buy a Honda next time. Steve
Originally Posted by jsinton
My sister lost her programmable key for her big expensive Acura, a regular locksmith was able to make and reprogram her new key.
Isn't Acura a division of Honda? Hmmmmmmmm..........

Old 07-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Default key replaced, end of story

It took the factory 3 months to deliver nothing when I first requested (multiple times) a new key. After losing the second key they actually delivered a new key to the dealer 12 days later. $17.50, laser cut at factory and does not have a programmable chip (so does not cost the additional $50 programming charge). Apparently the factory in Korea did not have the software installed for cutting keys, but now they do. So, now I'm happy. Also ordered two more keys, see how long it takes this time. (Only ordered one initially because thought it would cost $200).

Old 08-07-2009, 07:16 AM

Umm the keys have a transponder chip and remote chip i covered this in a thread earlier..

https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5041

Most locksmiths that can do automotive need to buy the latest
"software" to enable them to re-program the key or program an existing key!

If an aftermarket keyblank is released it will be able to be cut programmed and installed to your vehicle. Depending if the locksmith can code it to your vehicle yet. Imagine spending $770 per vehicle make to just buy the software. It costs lots of cash to get every vehicle which is why they/we charge so much and not everyone can do them. We do not have the software and dongles to do the i30 yet and it has not been released (that i know of from our suppliers). Not to say no (Software/diagnostic company) has managed to do it yet but ours havn't.

It generally takes 1 year after release date for the software programmers and techs to fully test, design and get it 100% right. They do release beta testing and versions but they are un-reliable. We use an English (UK) and italian transponder machine's and/or writers.

SO DONT COMPLAIN WHEN YOU LOOSE YOUR KEYS AT NIGHT AND GET QUOTED $650 +

I manage a locksmith shop in Melbourne Australia

Last edited by sr owna; 08-07-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Default Key Fob programming

I was very enthusiastic about my new Hyundai Elantra Touring, but I am also undergoing a very negative key fob experience. When I received my brand new Elantra in May 2009 the car was shipped and the original keys and fobs were lost by the DEALER! I have yet to have the fobs reprogrammed. So I did not get the pleasure of using them at all! It is VERY inconvenient especially since the trunk does not have a key hole. I wish Hyundai would put pressure on the appropriate people to have this resolved! I was going to recommend this car to all my friends but right now I am much too frustrated.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ddelongc
When I received my brand new Elantra in May 2009 the car was shipped and the original keys and fobs were lost by the DEALER! ... I was going to recommend this car to all my friends but right now I am much too frustrated.
So you wouldn't recommend a great car to friends just because one dealer lost one set of keys? WOW! That's harsh. Talk about nit picky!

Old 08-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Default Fob issues

It's easy. All they have to do is solve the problem and I will start recommending the car again. Sometimes nitpicking is the only way to get things done. I really don't care what anybody thinks.

Quick Reply: Hyundai cannot replace lost keys