Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Problem with filling gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:43 AM

thanks this helped me fix my fueling problems. 2000 Elantra

Old 04-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Default accent 2003

I have the same problem!!! my car (accent 2003) has check engine ligth lit, also, i have problems when I go to gas station because every 20 seconds stops fueling!! please tell me... do you can fix the problem?

Old 08-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Default Vapor Charcoal Cannister fuel exhaust issue

I been dealing with this, found the problem is the Vapor canister aka, Charcoal Filter Canister, Gas Vapor Filter Canister etc..etc..

located behind the drivers rear wheel, is a likely culprit.

I found if I squeezed the larger hose on the output of this cannister the charcoal pellets can be felt, by hand. Whats happened is the filter rots away and the charcoal filter pellets spew out into the hose instead of staying in the filter / canister housing.

if you look at Google Images or such, you can see the pictures.

I pulled the hose off and the Charcoal pellets poured out of the hose. This hose is the exhaust from the Gas tank....

Basic Desc:As Gasoline enters the tank while your pumping it in at the Gas station, the air in the gas tank needs to go somewhere. Its supposed to go out this hose and into the canister....the canister is vented using a "vent valve" which is Open while the car is off...like at the gas pumps.
If this hose is full of charcoal pellets, the exhaust is "clogged/plugged up" so the air comes up through the Gas Pump line and the pressure trips the Gas Pump safety valve, turning off the Gas pump over, over and over...

Its a pricey part. $150...but only takes two nuts to come off, and 3 hose clamps to pull off the hoses, so labor is cheap.

One trick to troubleshooting is pulling off the larger clogged hose from the input side, allow the charcoal pellets to fall to the ground.
Then fill the tank, see if it Fills up without problem...if thats it, then fill up and then reconnect the hose.

It could be the Vent Valve not opening, or the pressure valve on top of the tank..but from what I have read and found is the Charcoal Vapor Canister has rotted away and the pellets are clogging the hose.

Some people claim its a $1200 repair because the dealership mechanic might just swap out everything, instead of just the filter. Some paid $800 per the comments.
Once you drop the canister down you will want to do this yourself, its about a 10 minute job, and the canister weighs nothing and is a sealed plastic box. It has 3 hose connectors is all.
New filters as of 2012 are $150 at Hyundai only. (Autozone and Others don't carry them.) Maybe a junkyard to go super cheap.

Its a weird problem in my opinion. Its caused by people who keep adding that extra top off at the gas pump, the gasoline eventually gets into the filter as a liquid and thats what ruins the filter.

So goes the old tip to "Stop pumping Gas at the first shut-off click!"

Old 08-31-2012, 11:20 PM

I found out if you tilt the vapor charcoal filter a little bit, the pellets dont roll out into the exhuast hose clogging it. and this car is flling up ok now, until I can get a new $150 vapor cannister aka- charcoal filter.

You know Hyundai could mod this design easily and the rotted membrane , could be backed up by a small tilt to prevent the pellets from pouring out into the exhaust hose causing this problem. Or design the cannister to be vertical, not horizontal...there again the pellets wouldnt roll out into the vapor exhuast line clogging it.

Some people posted pying $800 to $1200 for this repair because soe placees replace everything and lal the valves which might not be needed at all.

fyi..

Last edited by ElantraMan; 08-31-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:41 AM

I have this problem too. I have cleaned all of the lines from canister and emptied the canister. Still have to fill up with a gas can. How do you get to the fuel cut valve plunger? The fuel line is clear, the vent lines are clear. I just don't know anything else to check.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:22 PM

Have you tried unplugging the hose to the cannister and filling up, at least for a test.
The concept is its just the air being pushed when we fill up, so the air inside the tank has to go somewhere....the exhaust/exit from the tank goes to the charcoal cannister, so something is still clogged or not opened.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Default 2002 Elantra Fueling Issues

Originally Posted by K&Ltibby
I have this problem too. I have cleaned all of the lines from canister and emptied the canister. Still have to fill up with a gas can. How do you get to the fuel cut valve plunger? The fuel line is clear, the vent lines are clear. I just don't know anything else to check.

K&Ltibby, were you able to correct this problem? I have the same issue on a 2002 Elantra. I changed the cannister on yesterday but the issue still seems to exist. I'm considering changing the filler with a known good unit. Please advise, I do not want to do this if I don't have to.

Thanks
Terence "TMANN"

Old 04-25-2013, 02:30 PM

Did you try filling up with the car engine on, this opens another valve to the engine that can help "depressurize" the gas tank.

If its not the charcoal filter clogging things, I think theres only the other valve left to check, which it is supposed to be open when the car is off. If its staying closed maybe thats not allowing the air to go to the charcoal filter (when engine is off).

when engine is running another valve opens toward the engine that re-uses the fumes (environmental thing)...so its unlikely both valves are clogged, so try engine running and engine not running....nothing to lose! g-luck

Old 10-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Default help

can you blow air through the gas tank to clear the filter?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sheila Russel Skinner
can you blow air through the gas tank to clear the filter?
No, that won't work.

Quick Reply: Problem with filling gas tank