Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Problem with filling gas tank

Old 11-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Default Problem with filling gas tank

New to the page. I checked those who have Accent cars they are having the problem that I am now experincing. I have 2000 Elantra, which just before the summer it stated this. I thought it was the pump, , gas station, even bought new gas cap. I even waited for a pump that others were using and was having no problems. I did.
It takes me forever to pump and now it would not take more than 10.00

please help -- any ideas what wrong

Old 11-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Default RE: Problem with filling gas tank

Is it clicking off before it's full?

Old 11-30-2007, 11:37 AM

Hi. If the pump is shutting off constantly, even if you have the pump on the slowest setting, it may be a problem with the evaprative collection system in the car. This is linked to the egr system and purge canaster. There is a charcoal canaster filter in the car. If it becomes plugged up or there is a leak somewhere in the evaprative system, this can cause the gas pump to keep shutting off when you try to fill the car. Have the evap system checked and inspected. This happens normally when you "top off" the car after the pump shuts off. On newer cars, if you overfill the gas tank, the raw fuel is sucked into the evaprative control system and can cause these types of problems, including check engine lights. Never top off your fuel tank.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: cruiser69

Hi. If the pump is shutting off constantly, even if you have the pump on the slowest setting, it may be a problem with the evaprative collection system in the car. This is linked to the egr system and purge canaster. There is a charcoal canaster filter in the car. If it becomes plugged up or there is a leak somewhere in the evaprative system, this can cause the gas pump to keep shutting off when you try to fill the car. Have the evap system checked and inspected. This happens normally when you "top off" the car after the pump shuts off. On newer cars, if you overfill the gas tank, the raw fuel is sucked into the evaprative control system and can cause these types of problems, including check engine lights. Never top off your fuel tank.
Cruiser,

I notice that my Elantra doesn't fill to capacity when I have the gas pump on the highest flow setting. I hate that I have to top it off but if I don't it doesn't get to the full mark.

Karl

Old 12-26-2007, 11:02 PM

there is a fuel tank fill valve that cuts off the pump from filling gas that's what your problem might be. elantras don't have egr systems.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:48 PM

Madindi you had mentioned fuel valve open/close being the problem for station pump shut-off can you guide me to a diagram somewhere so I can locate this valve. I own a 01' Accent 1.6 5spd.
Thanks for all your help,
Jim

Old 01-20-2009, 03:52 PM

I have a 2002 Elantra and my gasing-up problem started last year. Some pumps click off right away; others go real slow ......slow.......slow..... It takes me a good 10 minutes to fill the tank with 8 gallons. Asking the dealer got me nowhere. Any thoughs?

Old 01-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Banned

Found the troubleshooting procedure: general diagnostic procedures: hard-to-fill fuel tank DESCRIPTION All 1999 and later Hyundai vehicles incorporate a new emission control system known as On-Board Refueling Vapor Recovery (ORVR). A general schematic of the system is provided below. Some owners may experience difficulty filling their vehicle with gasoline and a premature shut off condition as a result of the gas pump nozzles installed at their gas stations. The nozzles at these stations are in the process of being retrofitted or replaced by the nozzle manufacturers. In the meantime, owners should follow instructions posted near the gas pump, and/or try filling the vehicle at a different gas station. If the refueling difficulty continues, verify that the 1/2" vapor path from the fill vent valve on the gas tank to the air filter on the charcoal canister (see schematic below) is completely free and clear. To perform the procedure below, make sure the fuel tank is below 1/4 tank full. To quickly determine the general location of a possible vapor path restriction: Disconnect the hose connected to the canister side of the liquid-vapor separator (see schematic below).Take the vehicle to a known "good" or major brand gas station. If the vehicle readily accepts fuel, the restriction is located between the liquid vapor separator and the air filter. If the vehicle does not easily accept fuel, the restriction is located between the liquid vapor separator and the fuel tank.

On-Board Refueling Vapor Recovery (ORVR) Schematic The following components are contained in the ORVR system: Vapor hoses Liquid-Vapor Separator(s) Fuel Fill Vent Valve Fuel Cut Valve (anti-spit back) Canister Close Valve Air Filter Charcoal Canister

After the restriction has been isolated to either half of the system, inspect each component to make sure it is free and clear of any restrictions. Verify that no back pressure can be felt anywhere between the fill vent valve and the air filter at the canister.NOTE1999 Accents have two (2) liquid vapor separators: one located on top of the fuel tank, the other located alongside the filler neck.

When checking the liquid vapor separator, blow through one end of the pipe using lung power. NO back pressure should be felt.

Verify that the Fill Vent Valve is open by carefully removing the valve and confirming that the white plastic shut-off plunger moves freely inside its cage.

If the fuel cut valve plunger is stuck closed, a hard-to-fill condition may result. Verify that the plunger moves up and down freely allowing fuel to enter the tank, but does not allow fuel to travel up the neck (under pressure). The plunger should be "up" (closed) in its free state.

IMPORTANT
When working with the Fill Vent Valve and associated plumbing, be sure to replace the hoses into the proper hose clips to prevent fuel from getting trapped / puddled in the vapor hose. Return fuel from the liquid-vapor separator must have a clear path to drain back to the tank.
Four Way Valve Purpose: The Four Way Valve provides an additional vapor path to the canister during refueling.

NOTE 1999 Sonatas have a Four Way Valve located between the liquid vapor separator and fuel tank.
Proper operation of the valve is as follows: Air flows freely in either direction through the 1/2" ports. Air flows freely in either direction through the 1/4" ports. Air flows from 1/2" port to the 1/4" port when blowing into one of the 1/2" ports while plugging the other 1/2" port. Air does not flow from 1/4" port to the 1/2" port when blowing into one of the 1/4" ports while plugging the other 1/4" port.

warranty information:
Normal warranty operation codes and times apply.

Last edited by NovaResource; 08-27-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:11 PM

I have the same problem but am unsure where the canister is. I think it is behind the LR wheel. The thing I am talking about is a rectangular box that has a metal strap holding it up and there are some lines running to it that look like they come from the tank. Is this the charcol canister? I know I sound retartded but I can fix things I just dont know what stuff is called. I am an electronics tech so please forgive my vernacular.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Banned

Yes, that's the location of the canister.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with filling gas tank