General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Slow Fuel Fill Problem Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Default slow fuel fill problems

One other important item that my mechanic told me about: the most common cause of this problem (not due to mechanical or electronic failure of parts or components) is TOPPING OFF YOUR TANK when you fill it up. When you fill up, when the gas cuts off the FIRST TIME, STOP! remove the nozzle and don't put any more gas in. When I do this, the problem goes away. If the currently having this problem, estimate how much gas it will take to fill your tank (or watch the guage as you fill) and fill it NOT QUITE FULL. Do this the next few times you fuel up and the problem will go away (if it's not related to parts failure). It usually only takes a couple of refuels til the problem goes away. Then as long as I stop fueling at the first cutoff, I don't have the problem anymore.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:38 AM

I noticed my '05 XG350 doing this when I filled up this weekend. Very frustrating! One thing to add that is sort of related. Isn't there supposed to be a small, round, spring loaded door just where you put the fuel nozzle? Mine has disappeared. Has this happened to anyone else?

Old 06-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HermanPWillis
Isn't there supposed to be a small, round, spring loaded door just where you put the fuel nozzle?
No, there's not.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:48 PM

Hi, I'm new to this site as of this morning. My wife's '01 Sonata is having this type of problem, with one added. She starts filling the tank, and then the fuel sprays back out.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:56 PM

I forgot to ask, does the car need to be up on ramps/jack stands to get to the ORVR?

Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Default Fuel fill problem

Like the info, my problem is when I fill up it shutoff the the engine floods out and is hard to start. I have a 2003 Sonata with 234000mile and drive 120miles a day in LA Calif. Love the car but this is starting to bug me.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:37 AM

my accent has problems with gas filling and it smells like gas when i open the windows. but if i turn my ac on it doesnt smell. maybe alil. is it still problems with the cannister?

Old 11-03-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by edcars954
my accent has problems with gas filling and it smells like gas when i open the windows. but if i turn my ac on it doesnt smell. maybe alil. is it still problems with the cannister?
Hey edcars954, it sure sounds like a canister problem. My Accent did the same thing. You may want to have a mechanic look at it though. Keep in mind the fuel pump for your Accent sits underneath the back seat. It sits in a well with a weep hole to allow leaking gas to fall out, but it could still smell if for some reason it develops a leak. Has it been doing it for long?

Old 11-05-2011, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by ritchep
Hey edcars954, it sure sounds like a canister problem. My Accent did the same thing. You may want to have a mechanic look at it though. Keep in mind the fuel pump for your Accent sits underneath the back seat. It sits in a well with a weep hole to allow leaking gas to fall out, but it could still smell if for some reason it develops a leak. Has it been doing it for long?
ritchep,
yeah. its been a few years since having that filling problem. and this year i noticed the gas smell. i dont smell it when the windows are closed. but when i open my windows thats when i can smell it. im planning to drive from houston to miami in a few weeks. will it be safe? hahaha. and how much do you think this will cost me? how did you fix it?
thanks

Old 11-05-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by edcars954
ritchep,
yeah. its been a few years since having that filling problem. and this year i noticed the gas smell. i dont smell it when the windows are closed. but when i open my windows thats when i can smell it. im planning to drive from houston to miami in a few weeks. will it be safe? hahaha. and how much do you think this will cost me? how did you fix it?
thanks
Hey edcars, I never did totally fix my problem. A new charcoal canister system installed by the dealer is $500+ dollars. I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of $$ on a 9 year old car with 169,000 miles on it. There's a 3/4" hose that runs from the canister to the fill pipe, and I have removed and dumped out charcoal pellets several times, which has totally eliminated my slow fill problem. I do get an intermittent "check engine" light, and the OBD tester says it's an emissions vent problem ... probably due to me dorking around with the hose. Either way, I've driven mine 50,000+ miles with no ill effect. But then again, I'm not an expert! Good luck friend.

Quick Reply: Slow Fuel Fill Problem Diagnosis