Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Alignment check for 2010 Elantra Touring - pulls to the right

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Default Alignment check for 2010 Elantra Touring - pulls to the right

It's been less than 30 days since my purchase of a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLS. I noticed within a week that it pulled to the right very little on the highway and you had to keep pressure on the steering wheel to stay keep going straight. Noticeable about 55-60MPH +

I was psyched about this new car and kept adding things like roof racks with surfboards and filling it with bikes and buddies so I didn't think much of it until I took off the toys and just drove it on the highway. Sales guy said there was a complimentary adjustment within 60 days of purchase and that I should bring it in.

The dealer checked out the car and said alignment was ok, they rotated the tires and said it might have something to do with the new thread on the tires. I left and got on the highway but no change. It still pulled the same way so I returned to ask them to have someone test drive it.

A Tech went with me for a ride and explained to me all about people getting used to new cars, electronic power steering and different types of road grade on highways. As soon as we got to 55 MPH, I showed him what was occurring and he said to return back to the shop for another look.

My appointment was at 8:30 AM and at 12:30 PM, the service person said they found the error was that the 2009 ET had different specs than the 2010 ET for alignment. They re calibrated my car and it should be ok now. That explained why we each thought the other party was crazy until we sorted this out.

I drove home very happy at 65MPH with a car that goes straight and now I am very confident to go on an upcoming Road Trip for the holidays.

For you 2010 owners, if you feel a slight pull to the right please get it checked and you might want to get a tech to ride with you or just ask them to confirm there haven't been any changes to the new model.

You may have to deal with a bit of an attitude and explanations but it will be worth it to get it resolved.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:22 AM

I am 8K miles and the drifting to the right was very slight. It was better than before but my Mom noticed the problem over the holidays when she drove it for a couple of days. I took the car in for an oil change and the dealer said the alignment was fine but my steering wheel was off center.

So I kept having to put force on the steering wheel to the left to keep the car going straight.

These little adjustments are annoying but all part of getting a new car I guess.

The car is riding much nicer now. I don't know if I'll continue driving twice as far and paying twice as much for regular services like oil changes when they take twice as long.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Default 2009 touring pulls hard to right

We have a 2009 elantra touring we bought at the end of August. Car has pulled to the right since we got it. It has now been in the shop at least 4 times...tires rotated, alignment, new tires, another alignment to different specs, new steering arm etc. We have been driving a loaner for almost a month. The Hyundai Warranty rep came in today to drive the car with my husband after replacing the steering arm. He said it wasn't pulling. My husband let go of the wheel and the car changed lanes. Nice new road. Got in a brand new touring and it pulled also. Anyone got any ideas? It is to the point that you have to keep constant pressure in the opposite direction to keep the thing on the road. I am not very happy with the attitude we got or the service. I think this is even dangerous as the car will switch lanes.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:53 AM
tub

i have make fix that on my 09 (only 1700 mi) yesterday same problem pull a little bit on right they have fix my alignement left tie rod end need some ajustment this make my stering wheel not going strait and push car on right electronic power stering are very sensitive touring have a sensor in stering wheel and this sensor have to be restet after alignement you can check if your thecnician have restet de sensor because if the sensor a off by 1 or 2 degres if will all time try to reach 0 degres and your car will pull and i think some touring have a service bulletin for recalibration of electronic power stering

Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 AM

My 2010 ET also pulls a little bit to the right. I'll brgin it to the dealer when I change the oil.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Balinus
My 2010 ET also pulls a little bit to the right. I'll brgin it to the dealer when I change the oil.
Good idea. My ET is now pushing 17K miles and it's been going nice and straight since the last check up in January.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:39 PM

Great post William. I will have to take the ET for a drive and see if mine pulls at all. I usually drive the Vibe. When the ET arrives home, I'll take her for a spin. My only gripe on the vehicle so far is that it came with the worthless Hankook Optima tires (second worse in its category on tirerack.com). The Kumhos are far superior, and worthy of leaving on for a few years. The Hankooks are instant throw aways, thus costing me more money because they put those on the cars the day mine went down the assembly line. I have all the luck.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:47 PM

I had the alignment checked at my 1st oil change and indeed, there found the alignment to be lightly "off".

Now, it drives way better! Though I suspect that the steering wheel is off center a little bit. I'll have them check that on next visit to the dealer.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:03 PM

I was just in to the dealer. They spent all morning. There is a service bulletin on the steering. But it still doesn't fix the problem. It did help a little.

After I did a test drive with the mechanic and showed him that it veered to the right especially when accelerating or traveling at 60kms. We then took 2 other tourings out. 1 brand new and one with a few thousand kms on it.. They both did the same thing. Spoke to the service manager and he said at a recent service manager meeting it was a common complaint.

General Manager suggested I write in and complain to Hyundai head office. Which I did. Everyone else with this problem do the same and then we can finally get a recall.. The problem is the steering went to electronic steering 2 years ago from the liquid steering from years past. Obviously it doesn't work. I mentioned that struggling to keep the car straight will be a danger on icy roads

Last edited by swoopbns; 06-29-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-30-2010, 09:43 AM

Thnaks swoop...Unfortunately your report doesnt bode well for me... Im supposed to bring my ET to the dealer next thursday the 8th, when the district rep will be there. Last week, they aligned the toe...but said caster and camber are not adjustable. I read something online that said that too. Anyone confirm that? Arguably, it drives worse after adjusting the toe back to spec. They also swapped front left and right tires....didnt help. The serivce tech then suggested it was torque pull as he seemed to think the car didnt pull as much to the right when not under acceleration. I quickly was able to conclude that driver input on acceleration didnt have an affect on the pull to the right. Any "ammo" to bring to the district rep? Because I dont plan on waiting for a fix, arbitration will be sought asap. Another good point by swoop was the fact this is occuring on dry roads. In my part of the country we get our fair share of ice, too. Imo, its safety concern right now, then factor in ice??? Good grief. Is it really the electric power steering that makes it pull???

Quick Reply: Alignment check for 2010 Elantra Touring - pulls to the right