Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Problem with filling gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Default Something funny

Thank you for posting these great instructions. I too have this same problem, when fueling up the pump stops every 3 minutes. I did as you said and found there to be a little back pressure when blowing through the liquid vapor separator so I checked the system from the filler tube to the charcoal canister. One thing that puzzled me was there was charcoal pellets in the 1/2" hose and vapor pipe between the Liquid Vapor Seperator and the charcoal canister. This can't be right. Is it time for a new canister?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Banned

Yes, the little pellets float out of the canister, and clog up the rest of the system. Ain't it a mess? My system is all "hosed" up too. Right now I got a p0441 code, which is purge valve/ incorrect flow. I've been pouring charcoal out of my system for months.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Banned

Same thing has now happened to me. My car got the Check Engine light... P0441: Purge Valve Incorrect Flow.

In addition, It was a little hard to start when warm.

I was able to remove the Purge Valve, and clean it with carb cleaner. It was stuck open, but worked ok when done.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:59 AM

I went through my system from filler tube to canister and everything in between was okay but I did replace one section of hose that was questionable. I had little stainless steel mesh left over from another project (.35mm diameter wire with 1.06mm openings) that I formed over the canister inlet then put the hose and clamp over it. I'm hoping this will keep those pesky pellets from entering the rest of the system again. Since then I put $10 in twice and filled up once with no pump stops so I'm thinking my problem was the pellet contamination.

Last edited by echota; 08-04-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:41 AM

I have this problem, too. '03 Accent. I can't even get more than .10 of a gallon to go in at at time. This thread looks really helpful and I'm going to try checking it out. Does the wheel need to be removed or is it accessible just by getting under the car?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Banned

It should be under the filler tube under the car.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:46 AM

On my 2001 Sonata it was much easier to access everything if you remove the wheel well shroud if you're going to check the whole system.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:53 PM

On my '03 Accent I only made it as far as the first step to 'isolate the problem' - it came open like a charcoal pinata and hundreds of those little pellets poured out. No problems filling up with gas now! And THANK YOU to whoever put the schematics up!!!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Banned

Four months on after I cleaned out my evap system. No more charcoal pellets coming out. I sealed up the canister with fiberglass mesh screen. My system seems to have fixed itself, I can fill my gas tank as fast as I want. Since there is no more charcoal coming out, I can fill my tank to the very top with no unintended consequences.

I was having a problem with the purge valve. Code P0441 Purge Valve incorrect flow. Difficulty starting when warm. I took it off and cleaned it. It was not sealing or actuating properly, and I could suck air through it. After cleaning it, it was sealing tight. I put it back on. Worked ok.

1000 miles later, I get a code again. This time P0441 along with P0445. P0445 is short circuit purge valve, which means the valve is now bad electrically. I found a replacement from the junkyard $2. All is well again.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:28 PM

I am have'n this problem as well. I know at what point I can put $20 in the tank. But I need to do this just about every other day. With going to work and everyday running around. Very annoying. My boyfriend has most of it figured out. I printed out all that info on the other page. I hope this works. I make him take it to get gas because its annoying. And it seems to annoy the others at the station. Sorry people!!!!!

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Problem with filling gas tank